MSU Library; Montana State University; Bozeman, MT
Instruction & Technology Librarian; July 2018 –
- Instruct students, staff, and faculty on research, technology, and information literacy skills via research consultations, library instruction, and workshops.
- Develop the online learning on infrastructure for the library and assess the user experience to make informed improvements.
- Coordinate, maintain and evolve the instructional portions of the library website, LibGuides, and other online platforms.
- Create guidelines for best practices in accessible and consist learning object creation.
- Collaborate with colleagues in the development, implementation, and application of innovative multimedia and e-learning tools, resources, technologies, and services.
- Watch trends in emerging instructional technologies; evaluate potential applications and integrations with instruction; suggest new ideas and lead their implementation.
- Help coordinate library classrooms, technology, and other spaces in support of instructional technology needs.
Program Lead; Technology & Research Specialist; 2015 – 2018
- Central contact for access services related areas of the Learning & Research Services (LRS) department.
- Lead the departmental transition of Library Management System from Sirsi Dynix to Alma, as part of the Alma Implementation Fulfillment committee.
- Helped establish tiered student positions and training program to efficiently use staff and student time, while supervising and directing work of up to 20 student employees.
- Train student employees and staff on use of technology equipment including printers, copiers, scanners, microform machines, and specialty printing equipment.
- Troubleshoot equipment and software for library patrons and employees alike.
- Teach workshops and one-on-one technology consultations; create instructional materials for using equipment, software and modern technologies.
- Answer research questions and refer to subject librarians as appropriate.
- Create promotional materials and contribute content to social media group for events.
- Manage and deliver Paws to de-Stress program each semester to bring in Therapy Dogs to help ease student stress during the last week of classes and final exams.
Interim Co-Department Head of Learning & Research Services; 2013 – Jan. 2015
- Lead the merger of two departments into one department encompassing all aspects of public service in the library, while balancing cultural differences to foster cohesion.
- Supervised and mentored seven classified staff and up to 25 student employees of the LRS Department.
- Strategically proposed new programs, policies and procedures to improve patron services in alignment with the library’s strategic plan; served on Executive Team.
Library Commons Assistant (Computer Support Specialist); 2011 – 2013
- Solve problems patrons experience with equipment and technology.
- Teach workshops and create instructional material on software and new technologies.
- Manage long-term projects under minimal supervision.
- Spearheaded, implemented and manage Paws to de-Stress therapy dog program for student stress during finals each semester, which has received national press.
Audio Visual & Interlibrary Loan Assistant (Library Technician I); 2009 – 2011
- Processed detailed ILL requests efficiently under minimal supervision, while providing quality customer service to ensure patron satisfaction.
- Instructed library patrons and staff to effectively use equipment and technology.
Penrose Library; Whitman College; Walla Walla, WA
Interlibrary Loan and Access Services Assistant ; 2005 – 2008
- Delivered quality customer service while simultaneously performing detailed circulation duties.
- Worked independently to accurately process ILL requests in an efficient manner.
MLIS Library & Information Science
2017; University of Kentucky; online distance program
MS Environmental Engineering
2015; Montana State University; Bozeman, MT
BA Environmental Studies–Physics, minor in Mathematics
2009; Whitman College; Walla Walla, WA
Publications & Conference Presentations
* (forthcoming 2019) Beyond Therapy Dogs: Rethinking animal policies to protect and promote student wellness for all library patrons. In A. Lannon & S. Holder (Eds.), Student Wellness and Academic Libraries: Case Studies and Activities for Promoting Health and Success. Association of College and Research Libraries.
* (2018) Employee Experience Journey Mapping (EXJM): a Fresh Take on a Traditional UX Technique. Weave: Journal of Library User Experience.
(forthcoming 2019) Delivering equitable & inclusive instructional content using UDL principles.
Presentation at The Collective Annual Conference; Knoxville, TN.
(forthcoming 2019) RELAX: Mindfulness & Stress Management Techniques for Busy Librarians.
Presentation at The Collective Annual Conference with Liz Chenevey (James Madison University); Knoxville, TN.
(2018) Bringing the User Into the Process: Design Thinking in Libraries.
Presentation at Pacific Northwest Library Association Annual Conference with Kris Johnson & Hannah McKelvey; Kalispell, MT.
(2017) New Employee Onboarding.
Workshop for the MSU Professional Development & Training Series with Hannah McKelvey; Bozeman, MT.
(2017) Reimagining Library Services through UX Service Blueprinting.
Presentation at Pacific Northwest Library Association Annual Conference with Taylor Schultz; Post Falls, ID.
(2017) Improving the User Experience of New Employees Using Journey Maps.
Presentation at Montana Library Association Annual Conference with Hannah McKelvie; Billings, MT.
(2016) Exploring Leadership Collegially: Coursera, Coffee, & Conversations for Inspiration.
Presentation at Montana Library Association Annual Conference with Kris Johnson & Mary Guthmiller; Missoula, MT.
(2015) Who Let the Dogs In? Therapy Dogs in Libraries.
Presentation at Montana Library Association Annual Conference with Nancy Rosen, director of Intermountain Therapy Animal; Bozeman, MT.
(2014) MSU Technology Workshop Series: Excel 2010, Pinterest & Prezi.
Presentation at Montana Library Association Annual Conference, Billings, MT.
Selected Instruction & Sample Lesson Plans
Guest Lectures & Invited Library Instruction
- Advanced Searching Techniques
- ANTY 494: Contemporary Africa: Sex & Power; Fall 2018
- Evaluating Sources & Introductory Research Techniques
- COLS 101 US: First Year Seminar, ANTY 225: Culture, Language, & Society; Fall 2018
- Topic Exploration
- US 101: First Year Seminar, ANTY 223: Anthropology, Pop Culture, and Everyday Life; Fall 2018
- Excel Basics.
- MSU Library workshop, Bozeman, MT, October 2018
- Excel Beyond the Basics.
- MSU Library workshop, Bozeman, MT, October 2018
- Software Studio: Presentation Tools.
- MSU Library workshop, Bozeman, MT, February 2018
- Additional topics offered in the past:
- MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Prezi, Dropbox, Google Drive, Utilizing Canva & Piktochart, and Cloud Storage.
Associations, Committees, Awards & Accomplishments
National & Regional:
- American Library Association
- Pacific Northwest Library Association
- Mountain Plains Library Association
- Awarded scholarship to attend The Collective conference in Knoxville, TN
- Awarded Scholarship to attend the annual Access Services Conference in Atlanta, GA
- Montana Library Association (MLA)
- Open Educational Resources (OER) TRAILS committee
- Awarded MLA Professional Development grant to present at MLA Annual Conference
- Awarded MLA Sheila Cates Scholarship to earn master’s degree in library science
Montana State University:
- Cross-Campus ADA committee; 2018- present
- Created Paws to de-Stress program which received national press
- Board of Directors Vice President for the Friends of MSU Library; 2014-2016
- Dean search committee for MSU Library
- Library Digital Accessibility Committee; Chair
- Data Infrastructure and Scholarly Communication Committee (DISC)
- Library strategic plan measure coordinator for two strategic initiatives
- Library master plan steering committee
- Staff Association Vice President at MSU Library; 2013-2016
I am motivated, positive, & strive to benefit the lives of others & our environment through my work.